Monday, December 29, 2014

The Most Livable City Of The World- Melbourne

We all have a wishlist in our lives, don't we? Afterall, that's one of the purpose of our lives, to fulfil our wishlist. And there are some really crazy things in some of your wishlists, I know that for sure. Mine's also do contain some really wacky things but let's leave that for another day.

I always had a passion for travelling. Even though I had my first trip when I was about five and had been travelling since then as frequently as possible, my quench for travelling has never been satisfied or in other words travelling never bored me. I swear I never felt homesick in my life how much rough the conditions had been. So, as you can guess, travelling is one of the items in my wishlist. If travelling has made it to the list, there should be some names of places as well in it and sure there is. Actually, there's a huge number of places in it, starting from Toronto to Tokyo. But the place that tops the list and has the highest priority is the most livable city of the world. Yeah, you guessed it right, it's none other than Melbourne, the capital city of the state of Victoria.





Located in the south-eastern part of mainland Australia, the city reaches south-east through Dandenong to the growth corridor of Pakenham towards West Gippsland, and southward through the Dandenong Creek valley, the Mornington Peninsula and the city of Frankston taking in the peaks of Olivers Hill, Mount Martha and Arthurs Seat, extending along the shores of Port Phillip as a single conurbation to reach the exclusive suburb of Portsea and Point Nepean. In the west, it extends along the Maribyrnong River and its tributaries north towards Sunbury and the foothills of the Macedon Ranges, and along the flat volcanic plain country towards Melton in the west, Werribee at the foothills of the You Yangs granite ridge and Geelong as part of the greater metropolitan area to the south-west.

Melbourne happens to be one of the major cultural centre with endeavours spanning major events and festivals, drama, music, comedy, art and what not. Not just festivals, we also need to look out for the live performances like the Australian Ballet or the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra. Melbourne also has an extensive cinematic history and can also be referred to as the birthplace of feature films. It's the home of Village Roadshow Pictures, Australia's largest film production company and Dockland Studios Melbourne has hosted many domestic and international features including Ghost Rider, Knowing, Where The Wild Things Are, etc.

Another major attraction of Melbourne happens to be its architecture. The city consists of a mix of modern architecture with nineteenth and early twentieth century buildings. The modern skycrapers are set back from the street in order to preserve the old Victorian era buildings thus preserving the old while moving on with the times and ushering the new. Melbourne is also said to have contained the Queen Anne style APA Australian building (1889), though demolished now, which was the third tallest building at its time of completion and have started the skyscraper race in New York City & Chigaco. In 2012, the city contained as many as 594 skyscrapers.

The list of attractions can go really long so it's better to stop here. However, there's one thing that should have been mentioned in the beginning. It's also the attraction that made me put Melbourne in my list in the first place, the street art of Melbourne. It is said to be the biggest tourist attraction of the city.

Street art in Melbourne originated in the 70s & 80s when the graphiti of New York influenced the influenced the disaffected youth of the city, which subsequently became popular in inner suburbs of the city and along the suburban railway and tram lines. The city is also referred to as the 'stencil capital of the world' for stencil art was embraced here at an early stage and stencil festivals are held even today.

Different forms of street art is practised in the city, including woodblocking, sticker art, poster art, wheatpasting, graphs, various forms of street installations and reverse graffiti. The street art is viewed by the public as well as the local authorities as an art form thus making it more popular day by day. Many galleries in the City Centre and the inner suburbs have even started to exhibit the street art.

Artists from all over the world has contributed to the street art in Melbourne, most prominently from countries like Germany, Canada, United States, United Kingdom and New Zealand. International artists like Banksy, Fafi, ABOVE,
Logan Hicks and Revok have known to work here. To see the work of such artists is a dream come true not just for me but anyone alike.

So if you love street art like me then think no more but head straight to Melbourne. However, there's more to Melbourne than just street art and you can enjoy it all as well at the same time. From renowned architecture to cafe lined streetscapes and verdant parklands, to thrilling world-class events; there's always something new and exciting to discover in Melbourne. Therefore it's rightly called the most livable city of the world.

Enough of chit-chat, it's now time for you to answer a simple question and win shooping voucher worth Rs. 500. Just tell me, which place in Melbourne would you like to visit and why? Answer in the comments below.

Here's a video showcasing the street art of Melbourne:



This post has been written for Tourism Victoria in promotion of Melbourne. 

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful post and interesting videos that make me feel that
    Melbourne invites the eternal romantic in me to hold hands with my beloved and go see the Twelve Apostles .Go on long drives on the great ocean road. In the middle of nowhere in a vineyard spread a table and enjoy a meal and a glass of wine with my dear one. Enjoy the sunsets holding hands and do lots of shopping at the Queen Victoria Market and see all the graffiti being created at the hosier lane.
    Great Post and interesting videos watching them I am sure to visit Sovereign Hill for spending some time in the era gone by. The lure of gold and panning for some nuggets is a temptation that is too much to resist. After I have found the gold I am bound to celebrate it with some wine so I will visit the vineyards and enjoy some great wine from the Yarra region .Visit the Pannys Phillip Island Chocolate Factory and have my fill with this yummy delight.
    therisingstarz.blogspot.in/2014/12/melbourne-selfie-capital-of-australia.html
    http://goo.gl/ByJqvP
    therisingstarz.blogspot.in
    http://goo.gl/59Omjz

    ReplyDelete
  2. MCG, the Australian mecca for cricket lovers. I would definitely like to be in Australia when either Indian team or the English team happens to be on tour, the nest time. Will be a memorable experience to watch the rivalry unfold right in front of my eyes, sitting right in the middle of MCG.

    - Ranjith (http://www.alightheartedtalk.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting Post
    After reading your post and watching all the videos
    I feel I have stepped into a kaleidoscope called Melbourne
    Where Vistas of experiences would unfold one after another
    The nature lover in me is enticed by the thought of watching the penguin parade.
    Traveling though the great ocean road, soaking up the freshness as the breeze ruffles my hair gets me in the mood to pack my bags for Melbourne.
    But before I can move ,Puffing Billy whistles and invites me for a ride. The kid in me jumps with joy at the thought of visiting Pannys Phillip Island Chocolate Factory
    Even before I can deside on the list of places that I would like to see in and around Melbourne.
    What’s that noise that I hear ?
    Oh its loud cheer from MCG as the cricket world cup 2015 is about to kick start.
    So many plces to see and so much to do.
    I am thetimetraveler ( http://goo.gl/wdXDzu ) and I have decided … Melbourne here I come ( http://goo.gl/RvUCQf )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of the most interesting places which I shortlisted to visit after watching Tanmay and Rohan's videos is here. This comment space would be very less in order to keep on giving the reasons to visit these places once in life, but I am trying to be as short and crisp as possible and these are the must visit places if at all I go to Melbourne in my life.

    Yarra Valley for Great Day out and Excellent Wine Tasting tour which seems totally magical. Driving around Yarra Valley in a beautiful and breathtaking places seems like a great country getaway from Melbourne city and so much to see, visit and taste.

    Going for a Seal Watching Cruise and Observing those inquisitive & graceful creatures close up, is a trip one will not forget I guess. It seems to be a totally a worthy place for young and old too. So many seals getting close to them could be an absolutely thrilling experience.

    Another place I wouldn't want to miss is Sunny Ridge Strawberry farm for some AMAZING Strawberry ice cream and strawberries, it seems like a strawberry heaven with delicious, succulent and mouth watering strawberries ever. I am sure this place visit would be a great experience for the kids too.

    Have you watched Penguins parade ? If not, I guess this is the place to visit which is Phillip Island Nature Park. The experience to watch these penguins is Out of this world, a must see for great experience and its awesome

    for Animal lovers too. Its like cute litte faires coming in from Ocean. I guess, this is a MUST do experience when I am in Melbourne.

    Are you a chocolate lover ? I guess Pannys Amazing World of Chocolate is a must visit place for enjoying some mouth watering chocolates. Also, just watching the huge waterfall of chocolate cascade down is breath taking. And watching the live chocolate making is fun.

    If you are a drive freak and love to drive around in some scenic spots, this is the place to visit which is "The Great Ocean Road". Seems like it would be a Great tour, great food and fantastic view.

    Some more places which I love to visit is Montalto Vineyard & Olive Grove, Loch Ard Gorge beach, Chateau Yering BBQ for some amazing Australian BBQ and definitely a hot air balloon ride for spectacular sightseeing and experience in life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Given a chance to visit Melbourne, I would absolutely make a run for Eureka Skydeck 88..Imagine the view of the city from such a great height of over 300 metres and while you are suspended in air in a glass box!
    This is an experience not to be missed and I hope I get a chance to visit Melbourne and go explore Eureka Skydeck 88 soon :)

    -Nikita@Njkinny's World of Books & Stuff

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post.Just loved your blog post. I am in love with driving and road trips, The Great Ocean Road is the ideal place for the people like me. I will surely visit that place in Melbourne and enjoy the sea shore, sunrise and gorgeous mesmerizing view.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being a person who loves to travel this place has struck my eye.
    And here, Eureka Skydeck 88 is going to be first on my list.. i can just imagine the view after reading about it and i feel its going to be awesome.
    Then the St. Kilda Beach,the long walk on the beach during the sunset will be just perfect.. And finding gold is also there.. :D
    why not get my pockets filled with some tresure hunt..Laneways and Arcades is going to be the place to explore my "Lara croft" skills.. :D :D
    Melbourne is going to be a great place to visit and enjoy a holiday..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi
    My email id is hemmma09@gmail.com
    in case you decide me as a winner

    ReplyDelete